February 18, 2014

yad vashem and lots of churches.

On sunday we had our Yad Vashem field trip. Yad Vashem is a holocaust museum in Israel. I don't even know how to describe it. It was such a moving experience. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside so I only have some from outside. It was rainy that day, which I thought was fitting cause it was a sad day. 
First we went to the children's memorial. These pillars are outside it to resemble children lined up and the tops are cut off to resemble their lives being cut short. The memorial was sad and showed the children's faces. We then walked into a dark room with lots of candles and mirrors. So all you could see was a bunch of lights that resembles the lives of the innocent children. It was really cool and touching. There were mirrors and so the lights went on for eternity, just like their lives.
After you get done with the museum you see this beautiful view which I thought was really cool.
The museum had many personal video stories, the history, documents, clothing, shoes, artifacts and photos from the holocaust. It was truly amazing and so sad. I liked how it recognized the people who weren't jews who saved lives. It's hard to imagine what I would have done if my family had to go through that experience. This experience made me realize how much the Lord loves all of us and how much Christ suffered for us individually.
Our professor, Ophir
It was homer's and megan's birthday!
playing in the rain
We then walked to Mt. Herzl which is where Israel's national cemetery is. We were all really cold and hyper so it was hard to concentrate haha. I loved taking pictures of the soldiers there.

Monday was our free day and we spent the day looking at churches, it was a pretty nice day out.
We first went to the chapel of the ascension where they believe Christ ascended into heaven after the resurrection. It cost 5 shekels to get in. 
We then went to the Church of the Pater Noster which has the Lord's prayer in lots of different languages. I thought it was really cool.
We then went to the Tombs of the Prophets which is the burial place for Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi. It was really cool and we took lots of pictures with the candles. 
i got the whole dome in my hand.
This is the big cemetery for the jews. We then ate lunch at the jewish quarter and got some pastries and mint lemonade.
Panorama look out 
the ceiling
Our last stop was The Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu which is a Roman Catholic church. This is in commemoration of Peter's triple rejection of Jesus. The church was beautiful. It also cost money to get into but it was worth it. No one else was in the church and so us mormons sang hymns. It really fun. Some other tour group came in and started singing with us. It was cool. There were caves under the church which was awesome. 

Today we had a bunch of classes and I started getting sick yesterday so I need to get to bed! Leila Tov! (Goodnight in hebrew)

3 comments:

  1. Women's Chorus sang a song about yad vashem titled "Reflections for Yad Vashem" so I got to learn a lot about the museum and we read stories about children from the holocaust. I actually put together a slideshow of pictures of children from the halocaust and we played it at our concert with the song. I'll have to send you the song...although I don't know if you care that much :) The coolest part of the song is when we sing actual names of children who were killed. I heard all about the mirror/light room and so wish I could go there! I went to the holocaust museum in DC which was amazing as well. The most horrifying/memorable part was when they have you walk over this clear bridge and underneath you are shoes of the children that were killed. Very sad and very moving. I'm glad you're having a great time and learning lots! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics as usual! What an experience! We just got our name tags in the mail for the tour! hoot hoo. Britt, I went to that performance when you sang. I remember well. You did a great job on the slide show. Love you both-mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! this is amazing, Brittany. Natalie, Thank you SO MUCH for keeping up with your blog! When do you have the time to do it. You are SO BUSY! Get your rest - don't want you getting sick!
    Love both of you! Grandma F

    ReplyDelete