October 3, 2016

week 49: #genconf

Monday, October 3rd, 2016

Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a great conference weekend! I know I did! It's weird to think it has already been a year since last oct conference. I was in Utah for it! Dah time flies. I love listening to the prophet & apostles. They are so inspired & passionate about what they do. I'm grateful for them and their service!

Monday we had a referral to go see a less-active in 3rd Ward named Debra. We had a really good lesson on general conference/prophets and the spirit was there. But she is just very stubborn and doesn't want to progress so we probably aren't going to go back. She was very nice though. Her husband isn't a member but is really not interested haha.

Tuesday we had zone conference. It was really good! We talked about a lot of things but I think the main message we talked about was the doctrine of Christ. It reminded me of women's session how we need a bedrock understanding of the doctrine of Christ. Something I loved what Sister Robinson said was that "we need to be better to speak of repentance as a gift." Repentance is a good thing & I am so grateful for it. We saw Peggy and had a lesson on temples with her. I don't think she has that strong of a testimony of temples and doesn't really think it is possible to get there. We kept telling her it is possible! She is slowly progressing though, she told us she is starting to read the scriptures!

Wednesday we had a second lesson with Jessica which I knew we had to drop. I should have dropped her in the second lesson but oh well. She texts us before and asks us if we wanted to watch the Bible vs the bom. Were like whattttt oh dear. She talked about it in the lesson and it was made by ex mormons. She was just trying to convince us that there is factual evidence that the bom isn't right. We kept trying to tell her that we can only know from God if what we are telling her is true. She just doesn't get it, she says she knows her church is true because of facts. The Spirit just wasn't in her lessons cause there was contention. It was only there when we bore testimony. It just makes me sad that she is missing the gospel in her life. She would make such a good member. So yeah we dropped her, she just wanted to discuss the differences. We then opened her front door to leave and Susan her neighbor was there. She took her name off the records several years ago and I see her come to 1st Ward sometimes, even though she is in third. So we had a lesson with her, and our member was great and came to both. Susan is Japanese and likes to TALK. I mean that is an understatement. I felt like I got hit by a train after I left. Like we barely shared a message. Basically just talked about the Book of Mormon but yeah. She says she will get baptized again when she moves which will be good cause she is moving by her daughter who is active. We then went by to see a prospective elder PMF. His name is John and he is actually our bishop's dad haha. They are way awesome. It's crazy how fast I fall in love with people here. We then had a lesson with Gaylon. He is doing pretty good.

Thursday I was on exchanges with Sister Doxey in Taylor! It was way fun and we definitely saw miracles! We had a really good Spanish lesson with potential investigators. It was a family and I got to bear my testimony and the little boy translated to the mom. It was pretty cool. It was a fun day being with her!

Friday we went to the homecoming parade to talk to people. Only in this small town could you block off a whole road for a little parade. We saw Tyric. He still isn't coming to church but we had a good lesson on general conference cause they have never actually watched it before! We then had an AMAZING lesson with a new investigator named JC! I think I talked about meeting him in my last email. We knocked on his door trying to find a former but we found him instead. Anyways we had a lesson with him and it was a miracle cause we couldn't find a female to come with us but 30mins before we did! JC wants to understand our religion and growing up I guess the mormons weren't super nice to him. He says it's because of his ethnic background. He is catholic but stopped going when he got cancer & then his friend committed suicide so he has been through a lot. All of these experiences could have pushed him away from God but they brought him closer. I know trials & afflictions do prepare people for the gospel. JC is so prepared! The Spirit was so thick, it is always so strong when the person is prepared. It's pretty cool, he just kept saying how he was lost. Idk the lesson was just so good. It's lessons like this that make missionary work all worth it. Being a worthy vessel to do His work, ah there is nothing better. I know there is a higher power with me, or I wouldn't be able to do what I do. We then volunteered at the dome for the football game. We worked at the concessions stand. Holy cow it was insane but so fun. We got to talk to a lot of people too.

Saturday was good cause genconf!! We watched them all at the Henrie's, haha love them. And her biscuits & gravy are so good! There was so much that I like so I could go on and on. I loved all the talks on missionary work of course. I liked when Kazuhiko Yamashita talked about being ambitious for Christ. I felt like they talked a lot about prayer which I needed. We then saw PJ after church. She is in mv ward. She is really cute I like her a lot. She just doesn't quite get the temple, so we are going to help her with that. We had dinner at the Moore's & Crystal & her kids were there who are recent converts. They are such a funny family. We then saw Kim, it was our first lesson with her. We had been trying to see her for forever. She was also pretty funny.

Sunday we watched the morning session at Steve & Mindy's. They made us bomb breakfast. We then had a lesson with a guy named Joe. It was our first lesson with him. He is dating a member in our ward. We had the lesson at our stake presidents house. Joe is so awesome! He technically lives in the valley so idk if we can keep teaching him but we will see. He is just taking everything in and wants to be baptized! He is a great guy and is truly seeking for answers. We then got a text from the Eagars and they invited us for the second session! General conference is so good for less-actives. We played conference bingo and she made us so much food, like I was gonna die. I loved all the talks & my questions were definitely answered! I love the spiritual upliftment conference brings. I loved the talk about joy. It's very true that we can have joy amidst trial. I always tell people the happiness the gospel brings me! We are not telling people they aren't happy, but how much happier they can be when they live the teachings of Jesus Christ! We had a lesson with the Gallegos. We taught the restoration and it went well! They are a really cute family and the gospel will be so good for them! He has really good questions too. We then contacted a referral the elders gave us and she is so solid! Her name is Meredith and she is the sweetest. I swear you get more miracles when you white wash!

So I am in 3 nephi right now and it is so good. Cause Christ comes & He is just the man. Okay let me just share some scriptures I like:

3 nephi 5:13 "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." This is a new recitation for our mission & I just love it!

3 nephi 9:14 "Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me." Christ is merciful &He wants us to come unto Him.

We also on Saturday started reading the Book of Mormon as a mission in 65 days. We all got a copy & are searching out & marking the doctrine of Christ! I really like it so far! I think our mission is going to see lots of miracles from it! I love my mission & all the people I get to meet everyday! I hope you all take what you learned from conference & live it!!

LOVE YOU ALL

--xo: sista fisha


Peggy & Gary!

Amorie!

Exchanges w/ Sister Doxey

homecoming parade

my cute pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment